Monday, August 15, 2011

Philander Rodman proud of his son Dennis



Philander Rodman
Source : Gracie Rutao, ABS-CBN News Pampanga
MANILA, Philippines – Former NBA star Dennis Rodman became emotional when he was inducted in the Basketball Hall of Fame.
The 2-time Defensive Player of the Year and 5-time NBA champion expressed his gratitude to the people who helped him throughout his long career.

But in his speech, Rodman revealed that he was still angry and disappointed at his father, who left him when he was only 5 years old.

“I never had a father. My father left me when I was 5 years old. He has 47 kids in the Philippines,” Rodman said in his Hall of Fame speech.

Rodman added that his father made a lot of money by writing a book about him.

“He wrote a book about me in Chicago and made a lot of money, but he never came to see me,” Rodman said.

Doing the right thing
Philander Rodman Jr with his son, Hall of Famer Dennis Rodman.

But despite his son’s anger, Philander Rodman Jr. remains proud of his son.

"He worked hard, and he deserves it," Philander said of Dennis' entry into the Hall of Fame.

Philander now lives in Angeles City, Pampanga, where he owns a small bar.

The elder Rodman says that he cannot blame his son for being angry with him, although he maintains that he only did what he thought was right.

“My father left me and my mother when I was 5 years old, too. I don’t cry about that though,” Philander said. “He did what he had to do.”

“He doesn’t know what I tried to do,” he added. “He doesn’t understand what goes on between me and his mother.”

Philander said that Dennis’ mother told “a bunch of lies” about him.

“His mother won’t let me see him,” Philander claims.

29 kids, not 47
Philander Rodman Jr., with his Filipina wife, Helen.

Philander said that even though he and Dennis have not talked to each other for years, he can still see parts of himself in his son.

"That's what I love about Dennis, he's just like me. He sticks up for himself," Philander said. "He got that from me. It's in his genes, I guess."

Philander did not talk to Dennis when the younger Rodman came to the Philippines in 2006 for an exhibition game.

Despite this, Philander continues to collect pictures and news clippings of his son during his playing days.

Philander also corrected Dennis, saying that he has 29 kids from 16 different women, instead of 47 as Rodman had said in his speech.

He also revealed that he still hopes to one day talk with son again.

"If he wants to see me, he can afford to come and see me better than I can afford to see him," Philander said. "I hope he comes over."

1 comment:

  1. What up Phil, you probable don't remember me but me and Hodges use to come eat at ur place whenever we came down from Olongapo Man u had some good soul food. Hodges knew you. He was a retired chief in the navy. I even remember you talking about Dennis then and thst was back in 1979. You still looking good buddy. Nate

    ReplyDelete