Source : Solar Sports Desk
Barangay Ginebra superstar LA Tenorio was already gearing up to join the Chot Reyes mentored squad until he was told to unpack his bags.
“Nag decide daw yung board na huwag na muna kaming sumali. Yun daw napagkasunduan ng (PBA) board,” bared Tenorio who is still recovering from an elbow injury.
Tenorio, alongside another PBA superstar Gary David, would have joined the Gilas team after both skipping the Dubai International, where the Philippines bowed out after a 1-3 slate.
Aside from Tenorio and David, Dubai veterans Ronjay Buenafe, Jay-R Reyes and KG Canaleta won't be joining the Gilas trip to Hong Kong as well.
“Sayang nga eh. Pero di bale, bawi kami sa next tournament,” said the former Ateneo Blue Eagle.
David was more confused than anyone as he was already given a green light to rejoin Gilas by GlobalPort Batang Pier coach Junel Baculi Friday afternoon.
“Pinayagan na ako eh. Pero antayin ko na rin yung desisyon. Baka nga naiba,” said the puzzled David.
PBA Media Bureau Chief Willy Marcial, however, said that no official statement has so far been released by the board.
In fact, the 10-man board of governors, led by Chairman Robert Non of Barangay Ginebra, will only convene on Thursday at the PBA office.
“Wala namang ganyang utos pa akong alam. Hintayin natin yung desisyon ng board,” said Marcial, who sounded surprised at the development.
The ever amiable official likewise told Solar Sports Desk that the Hong Kong event is not the calendar submitted by the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP).
“Wala sa kalendaryo ng PBA… Pero hintayin natin yung desisyon ng mga governors tungkol dyan,” Marcial added.
Marcial meanwhile gave an assurance that the league will give full support to the national team in the coming FIBA Asia Championships, a qualifying tournament for the 2014 World Basketball Championships.
Without the PBA stars, Reyes will now rely on his amateur and collegiate stars headed by Kevin Louie Alas, Garvo Lanete and RR Garcia in the said Hong Kong tilt.