Source : Yahoo Sports
ROCKETS GET LIN
Lin officially rejoined the Rockets Tuesday night after the New York Knicks declined to match the three-year, $25 million offer sheet he signed with Houston. The Rockets waived Lin just before the start of last season, and he went on to become one of sports' biggest stories during a stunning three-week run as the Knicks' starting point guard.
"Everyone knew his story and how it came alive, but it started in Houston with no one really even knowing he was there,” Martin told Yahoo! Sports. "I don’t remember him at all from training camp. It’s going to be kind of funny. Even though he’s been there for us before, it feels like we are getting a new player."
The Knicks declined comment on their decision to match the offer sheet. Rockets general manager Daryl Morey used his Twitter account to welcome Lin: "Welcome to Houston @JLin7! We plan to hang on this time."
"Extremely excited and honored to be a Houston Rocket again!!" Lin tweeted.
Lin became the Knicks' starting point guard after injuries to teammates forced him into the lineup. He led New York to seven straight victories and earned a pair of Sports Illustrated covers and praise from President Obama. His stunning three-week stretch included a 38-point performance against the Los Angeles Lakers and a game-winning 3-pointer at Toronto. The sports world was quickly swept up with "Linsanity," until Lin's season ended with a knee injury.
"Much love and thankfulness to the Knicks and New York for your support this past year … easily the best year of my life," Lin tweeted late Tuesday.
Lin was a restricted free agent, but was strongly expected to return to the Knicks no matter what offer he received. The Rockets creatively put together an offer sheet that includes a $15 million salary in the third year of the contract. New York would have incurred substantial luxury-tax penalties matching the deal because the team owes Carmelo Anthony $24 million, Amar'e Stoudemire $23 million and Tyson Chandler $14.5 million that same season.
OJ MAYO TO JOIN MAVS
Soon after Mayo posted his note on Twitter late Monday night, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban sent out his own tweet that read, ''Welcome to the family OJ. We are fired up !! MFFL Mavs/Mayo Fan For Life!''
In 301 games over the past four seasons with the Memphis Grizzlies, the 6-foot-4 Mayo has averaged 15.2 points a game. Mayo was the third overall pick in the 2008 draft by Minnesota, who then traded him to Memphis in a seven-player deal.
Mayo started all 164 games his first two seasons in Memphis, but has since played off the bench. He started only 17 of 71 games played in 2010-11 and played in all 66 games without starting last season, when he still averaged 12.6 points and 2.6 assists per game.
There were no details of the contract or official confirmation from the team Monday night. ESPN, citing an unnamed source, said Mayo was getting a multiyear deal.
Dallas has restocked its roster after being unable to get Deron Williams to join his hometown team this offseason. Guards Jason Kidd and Jason Terry left in free agency a year after the Mavericks won their only NBA title, and 7-foot center Brendan Haywood was designated as their amnesty player.
The Mavs won the bid to claim two-time All-Star forward Elton Brand off amnesty waivers by Philadelphia on Friday and reached a one-year deal with 7-foot center Chris Kaman. Last week they also acquired point guard Darren Collison and wing player Dahntay Jones from Indiana in a trade for center Ian Mahinmi.
In a significant blow to its Los Angeles rival, the Los Angeles Clippers are finalizing a two-year contract with free agent Grant Hill, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Grant Hill has committed to signing a contract with the Clippers instead of joining the Lakers. (AP)The Clippers have several ways to complete the deal, including through a sign-and-trade with the Phoenix Suns or using its bi-annual exception.
The Los Angeles Lakers and New York Knicks had recruited Hill heavily to sign with them, but Hill decided on the Clippers and was finalizing terms of a deal on Tuesday, sources said.
Hill averaged 10 points, three rebounds and two assists in 28 minutes a game for the Suns a year ago, and joins an upgraded roster that includes recent additions Jamal Crawford and Lamar Odom.
Hill will turn 40 prior to the start of the 2012-13 season.
NEW YORK. (AP) -- The Brooklyn Nets continued their offseason barrage of signings Tuesday, agreeing to a new, two-year deal with power forward Kris Humphries.
Humphries, 27, averaged 13.8 points and 11.0 rebounds for the Nets last season, and has averaged a double-double in back-to-back seasons: 2010-11 and 2011-12. Last season's effort came on a one-year deal and for a bad team. Then still in New Jersey, the Nets went 22-44.
But Humphries, who will make $24 million over the life of the contract, will now be part of a new-look group in Brooklyn that includes guards Deron Williams and Joe Johnson, center Brook Lopez, and forward Gerald Wallace, who all either decided to re-sign with the Nets this month, or in the case of Johnson, accept a trade from Atlanta to Brooklyn.
''Kris has been a very consistent player for us over the past two years,'' Nets general manager Billy King said. ''He has developed into one of the top rebounding forwards in the league, and we are very pleased to welcome him back.''
Humphries was married to reality television star Kim Kardashian for a brief time.
The Nets also this month added some depth, signing veteran swingman Jerry Stackhouse to a one-year, $1.4 million deal, and forward Mirza Teletovic to a three-year, $9.8 million contract. They also acquired forward Reggie Evans in a deal with the Los Angeles Clippers, and signed backup point guard C.J. Watson.
The Nets have missed the playoffs the past five seasons, the last two as temporary tenants at the Prudential Center in Newark while the move to Brooklyn was finalized.
On Wednesday, the Nets will hold another press conference, this one for Lopez, who re-signed last week.
Los Angeles Lakers officials continue to speak with the Orlando Magic about a possible Dwight Howard trade, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
A deal did not appear imminent, but conversations between the Lakers and Magic have become more frequent in recent days, sources said. A number of obstacles need to be resolved, including the Lakers' desire for Howard to commit to a long-term extension with them. Howard has warmed to the possibility of joining the Lakers after spending his offseason in Los Angeles, sources said, but remains apprehensive about following in the footsteps of Shaquille O'Neal, who left the Magic for Los Angeles 16 years ago.
The Magic also are seeking draft picks – in addition to Lakers center Andrew Bynum – as part of a package for Howard. The Lakers have already sent their 2013 and '15 first-round picks to the Phoenix Suns as part of their sign-and-trade deal for Steve Nash. NBA rules forbid teams from trading first-round picks in consecutive years.
The Houston Rockets, who have made several roster moves this summer to position themselves for a potential Howard trade, also have continued to talk to the Magic.
Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak and coach Mike Brown watched free-agent forward Jermaine O'Neal work out in Las Vegas on Tuesday, but no offer was made. Sources said the Lakers could sign Jermaine O'Neal and free-agent forward Antawn Jamison to veteran minimum contracts.